Monday, March 26, 2007

“My Day on the Set”

I arrived on the set early in the morning to do makeup and wardrobe, and was so flattered by all the Dog Whisperer fans among the crew! The energy on the set was amazing – a very positive energy. Jennifer Love Hewitt is definitely a “calm assertive pack leader.” From the beginning, I had a great time. I had a special parking spot right in the front. I had my own trailer. Everyone there really made me feel like a special guest, from the person who made the food to the big executives.

Even though I have my own TV show, I am definitely not an actor! The way we shoot my show, I don’t even know the details about the dog I am going to help before I get there. There is no piece of paper or script telling me what to do. That’s the difference between a reality show and a fiction show. Also, the dogs I deal with don’t understand the concept of “take two,” so the camera guys on “Dog Whisperer” have a tough job making sure they catch all the action!

Even though working from a script was a new experience for me, fortunately, I was playing myself – which gave me a big advantage.

Working with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Camryn Manheim was awesome. They made it so easy for me. What’s amazing about great actors like those ladies is that no matter how many times they do a scene over, it always feels like it’s really happening in the moment. I had two great teachers in front of me and they were not faking anything. They were really being that character. I just had to learn to tune into their frequency. It’s actually very similar to what I try and teach people – to learn and tune into the frequency of their dogs. I really wanted it to sound real, and I think it came out well. We had a really good time, laughing and enjoying ourselves. It was definitely a day I will always remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That's too cool!

Anonymous said...

You were great on the show and I love TGW. I also lOOOVE your show. I have your books and it was fun to see you on the show! THanks for changing the world for dogs! I'm a believer!