Tuesday, March 27, 2007

“My history with Ghosts”

My wife Ilusion and our kids and I all love to watch the “Ghost Whisperer” because it isn’t just a supernatural show, it’s also a spiritual show. It really stresses the important lessons that I learn from my dogs every day – to live in the moment and appreciate everything and everyone we love, all the time. My wife is a very spiritual person – she’s even seen ghosts and had visions in her life. But she was raised in America, where people are free to believe whatever they want. I grew up in a working class family in Mexico, where things were a little different. My family was more caught up in religion than spirituality. In spirituality you can definitely be more open to supernatural things, but since we were very Catholic, that would be like black magic or that would be like the wrong thing to follow. It wasn’t until I came to America that I really started to open up to things like ghosts and the supernatural. And of course, falling in love with my wife, I began to see the world in a much more open-minded way. Sort of like how Melinda opened up a new world for Jim!

The funny part of it is that even in my family, there were certain superstitions that persisted, even though they might not agree 100% which what the religion teaches. For example, on the farm where I was growing up they always used to say that the dogs would sense death coming. The farm hands all believed that dogs would behave in a certain way and the next day or right after somebody would die. Then, once you went to church, they’d tell you not to believe that. It was very contradicting. It really confuses you, but even despite the religious rules, there were always stories like that. And I think they probably had some truth in them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently I came across the program 'Dog Whisperer' and watched which great amazement. I was truly impressed by Mr Millan. It is very clear that his philosphy of life, spirituality and calmness touches both, people and animal's alike, across the world. He is truly a great person doing great work....and deservedly going on to do even greater things. I wish him the very best.

Sharan, UK

Lollie Dot Com said...

I normally never watch the ghost whisperer because I'm a psychic and am prejudiced about how psychics (the rare real, and the all to common fakes) are protrayed.

However, Mr. Millan is one of my heros and so this will be "can't miss tv" for me!

I've had people tell me there are no dogs in heaven. I try to respect other's beliefs, but what a crock! Heaven is not fewer blessings, it's more!

Of course our dogs will come running to us in perfect health and age. Gimme a break, it's HEAVEN!

I've set the Ghost Whisperer to record. Now I feel calm and assertive again. :)

artsyalid said...

A similar story-I was caring for a dying woman many years ago. The family lived on a large compound with horses, dogs & cats. One day as I went to take a ride on one of the horses, he reared when I tried to mount. Later, the cats were walking up and down the hallway (in front of the woman's room) meowing very loudly and the dogs howled all day. I was very upset by these events-not knowing what was going on but being "freaked-out" and crying to friends who were picking me up for a wedding later that weekend. That night after I left, the woman passed away. The animals "knew" she was dying. It made me believe in the power of that which we can't see- but animals can sense.

toni said...

I L-O-V-E cesar and have read the book and watched the shows. I work at the library and the staff are all big fans(most don't even have dogs). Right now Dog whisperer season 1 has 121 holds on 20 copies(spl)it used to be closer to 500 so apparently everyone loves the dog whisperer. It has helped me alot with my pups (1yr) though I still have a long way to go with them. I wish I had known him when I had my 1st dog Bear (16yr old German Shepard mix). It was 8yrs later before I was ready for these 2 handfuls(Brutus-the shepard and Achilles). I will definitely tune in 2 both shows.

toni
Seattle, Wa